The following Rwandan mobile telecommunication service providers are available:
Mobile telephone service providers also provide gateway to Internet using GPRS, 3G and 4G. Cell phone SIM cards are widely available. Every SIM card user/buyer in Rwanda is expected by law to be registered prior to activation. SIM cards can be registered at the point of purchase.
The unit of currency is the Rwandan Franc (RWF). Exchange rates are subject to fluctuation. Currently, 1 USD is approximately equivalent to 840 RWF.
Foreign exchange facilities are available at the airport and in all parts of Kigali city.
Banking hours are from 08:00 to 18:00 on weekdays and from 08:00 to 15:00 on Saturdays. Banking amenities are available at all commercial banks; local and regional banks hold agreements with a variety of credit card networks:
- VISA - Bank of Kigali, Ecobank, Equity bank, I & M bank, Kenya Commercial bank, ACCESS Bank, Banque populaire du Rwanda and Urwego Opportunity bank
- MasterCard - ACCESS Bank and Equity bank
- China Union Pay - ACCESS Bank, Equity bank and Bank of Kigali
- Japan Credit Bureau - Equity bank
- American Express - Equity bank and Bank of Kigali
- Diners Club - Equity bank and Bank of Kigali
Most internationally recognised currencies and travellers’ cheques can be exchanged at commercial banks, hotels and the airport. Major credit cards are accepted in most hotels, restaurants and shops.
Temperatures all year round (240 to 270 C) making Rwanda an ideal destination year round.
The time in Rwanda is GMT+2.
The electricity supply in Rwanda is 220/240V AC. It is advisable to bring your own round, two-prong adapter and transformer for 110V AC.
In case of emergency, please refer to telephone numbers listed below.
- Fire Brigade (Toll Free): 111 or +250 788 311 224
- Ambulance (Toll Free): 912 or + 250 788 300 116.
- General Assistance: 997
Business and Shopping Hours
Public Offices open from 07:00 to 17:00 while businesses open from 8:00 to 18:00, Monday to Friday. Weekend business hours range between 09:00 to 22:00.
For more practical information on Rwanda, please visit: http://www.rwandatourism.com/practical-info