Currently, AFRAA's focus is to add value to its member airlines through programmes and initiatives in the following areas:
- Safety, security, technical and operational
- The environmental
- IT, E-commerce and STB
- Market intelligence and performance data
- Skills management, training and human resource development
- Airline finance, economics and cost management
- Liberalization, privatization, cooperation and alliances
- Regulatory and aero-political developments
- Joint procurement initiatives
In the last 44 years, AFRAA has been instrumental in developing and articulating air transport policies issues in Africa and helping to build a formidable industry. It has been in the fore-front of major initiatives in the air transport field in Africa, sensitizing airlines to take concrete actions for cooperation in Operational, Legal Commercial, Technical, Information Communication Technology (ICT) and Training fields.
AFRAA has also been instrumental in lobbying African Governments, the African Civil Aviation Commission and other regional and sub-regional organizations on actions to be taken to develop an efficient air transport system. AFRAA has been a catalyst for major aviation policy decisions in the continent.